The EPS Department maintains an Instructional Computing Facility (ICF) to support teaching and student research. The facility is located in Geological Museum 103C (17 workstations) and Geological Museum 103B (9 workstations). When not scheduled for courses, computers are available for undergraduate and graduate research and study by EPS students. Check the current schedule for class use of the ICF at Teaching Lab Schedules.
The EPS ICF computers may be used in person or be accessed remotely via Windows Remote Desktop (RDP). Please do not save any items to the Desktop or hard drive of the machines, as these may be removed at any time. Use a cloud storage service (Google Drive, Dropbox, Sharepoint, etc.) or a USB drive to save your work.
To use a computer in person:
- Check the status of the lab computers here. Computers shown in green are available for use. Computers shown in blue or gray are currently unavailable. Identify an available computer in either 103C or 103B (machines are labeled by room and workstation number, e.g. EPS-103C-10).
- Log in using your Harvard Key.
- Please log out of the computer when leaving the room.
To use a computer remotely:
If you are not setup with VPN, please follow the instructions below for Installing CiscoAnyConnect App and Connecting to Harvard VPN. For any questions on general VPN setup, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect to Harvard VPN using Cisco AnyConnect App.
- Installing the Cisco AnyConnect App - https://harvard.service-now.com/ithelp?id=kb_article&sys_id=f1766696db1e9418441560fdd39619ef
- Connecting to Harvard VPN - https://harvard.service-now.com/ithelp?id=kb_article&sys_id=f1a542efdb90d7c483a2f3f7bf9619e
- Check the status of the lab computers here. Computers shown in green are available for use. Computers shown in blue or gray are currently unavailable. Identify an available computer and take note of the workstation name (e.g. EPS-103C-10).
- Follow the RDP User Instructions for PCs or RDP User Instructions for Macs to connect to the selected computer via Windows Remote Desktop Connection. The computer name is the name of the selected available computer followed by ad.fas.harvard.edu. For example, if you choose to use EPS-103C-10, type EPS-103C-10.ad.fas.harvard.edu for the name of the computer.
- When you are done, please log out of the remote desktop session by clicking on the Windows start icon and then the person icon, then "Sign out." This is important to ensure computers will be available to others.
Notes about remote sessions:
- Security updates may be installed on Saturdays between 2am and 5am. Users may be requested to reboot the computer at that time.
- Remote use of university computers is subject to the same guidelines and policies as on campus use.
- Active sessions are limited to 6 hours. If you need to continue, please end your session and begin a new one.
- After one idle hour (no use of the remote machine), your session will be ended automatically. (Codes running in the background are considered active use.)
For questions related to in-person or remote access to the ICF computers, please contact Annika Quick (EPS Preceptor) at email@example.com.