Students are welcome to contact individual faculty members or see the Student Job Opportunities page to learn about opportunities within the department. Broader opportunities for study, travel, and public service (both on- and off-campus) are adminstered by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships.
The Harvard University Center for the Environment posts summer research opportunities and provides financial support for projects related to the environment. Funding for oceanography-related programs may be available from the Harvard Oceanography Committee. In addition, Harvard students of any concentration may apply for the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies Summer Internship Program in Japan.
If you need help crafting an email to a faculty member about research opportunities, please see this email template.
For information about funding sources and excellent tips on applying for research funding, see this recording of the Summer STEM Research and Funding Panel (begins 30 minutes into the recording) presented by EPS undergrads in March 2021. You can also view the slides from the presentation.
- DEEPS Brown/Leadership Alliance summer undergraduate research internships
- Department of Energy: Student Programs and Internships (includes program links to national labs)
- DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) RISE Germany Research Internships in Science and Engineering
- Future Park Leaders of Emerging Change (FPL)
- GeoPRISMS field work
- Geoscientists-in-the-Park (National Park Service)
- Green Corps Field School for Environmental Organizing
- Harvard Forest Summer Research Program
- Hispanic Access Foundation's MANO Project internships for Latinx students
- IRIS Internship Program
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory Summer Internship
- Marine Physical Laboratory (MPL) at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego (summer internships)
- Mass Media Science & Engineering Fellowship
- Misasa International Student Internship
- NASA Internship
- NCAR Internship
- NCAR/UCAR Internships and Opportunities
- NOAA Student Opportunities
- NSF REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Earth Sciences
- SCEC Internships
- Scripps Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
- SEEDS- A Program of the Ecological Society of America
- STEM SEAS (Student Experiences Aboard Ships) organized by Columbia University
- Student Conservation Association
- UNAVCO Student Internship Program
- USGS Internship Program
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Summer Student Fellowship